Thursday, April 27, 2006

Seasonal Disorientation Disorder (amongst other problems)




Havoc continues to reign at girlprinter.com, hence, no banner and few images. It seems I’ve done the digital version of skipping out of a rental apartment leaving all my furniture behind. Except that I continue to pay rent, but the locks have been changed behind me, and I want my furniture back. (There’s been much gnashing of teeth in the technical services department, I can assure you.)

Today was textbook Autumn (Fall.) As I crossed the Yarra by train this evening, there was a rising pink haze at the horizon, and although I didn’t actually see any, I imagined piles of dry leaves and smoke tendrils drifting lazily from chimney stacks. The autumn is lovely here, free from fear of a precipitous drop into a Midwest-style winter. It feels like Halloween, which means it’s a just a short step to Thanksgiving, then no time at all before the full-bore tilt into Christmas.

Except it’s not.

I miss those seasonally-appropriate holidays. I suggested to Isaac that we host a slap-up Thanksgiving in June this year, only to be met with horror. But it feels right, just as a roast and stuffing and pumpkin pie felt oh so wrong last November.

I’ve been wearing my False Entrelac scarf. By the time I finished it last year, I was over winter and her attendant knits, so I don’t think I even bothered to tell you I was done. I’d forgotten how soft this scarf is, and how much I like its pointy edge. And remember how freaked out I was about the mistake I made right at the very beginning? I haven’t thought about it once, except now, as I read back through that post and think, you thought that was a problem? Let me tell you about problems…..

(By the way, I don’t really look like that crazy person in the photo above. Similar, but far more normal-looking.)

6 Comments:

Blogger Belinda said...

I love the scarf, it looks great. Is it from a pattern or did you wing it..

8:47 PM  
Blogger leslie said...

that scarf rocks! i can completely relate to the missing of north american fall holidays - i'm thinking of celebrating "thankgiving" by cooking up a big turkey feast on canada day, july 1, just to make myself feel better.

9:48 PM  
Blogger Meg said...

I don't really suffer from SDD but that's probably due to my family's long-standing atypical celebration of those holidays that used to happen in autumn for me. Of course one never needs an excuse to eat pumpkin pie. (And my partner just brewed some pumpkin beer in honour of the change in season...mmmmm)

9:17 AM  
Blogger Ampersand Duck said...

Great colour. I've got a silk scarf in the same shade.

I'll just repeat my response to your comment on my blog, in case you don't meander back there for a while... you are first on my list of who to visit next time in Melbourne! It was such a quick trip and I thought I'd let you set up your studio first :)
Glad to hear you got some goodies too. If you're ever in Canberra look me up!

11:14 PM  
Blogger spiff said...

spiffy scarf!

i'm knitting a two-colored entrelac scarf now, and i was wondering whether you've tried not-false entrelac, and which is easier?

10:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home