Thursday, August 18, 2005

Festina Lente: (Latin) Make Haste Slowly.

Even casual readers will have noticed a distinct lack of knitting content on Show & Tell. There are many reasons for this and recriminations to be had, and generally I wouldn't want to burden an audience with such matters. However, in my current self-flagellating mood, I thought I'd share some of them with you.

1. I'm slow. Very, very slow. I wasn't really aware of this until I started reading crafty blogs and knitting in public. All around me, finished objects fly off the needles. Fluffa! finishes something amazing every week or so, in between raising a son and gallivanting on strangers' Vespas. I was proud to finish Emmeline (Rowan 28) in, oh, three years? (The last year spent in pieces waiting to be seamed.) I thought this was normal.

2. Due to Reason #1, up until now I’ve been reluctant to participate in swaps. Recently however, I’ve plunged in, hoping for a therapeutic effect. I’m generally more efficient when a giftee is involved, and a stranger: well, that’s a big responsibility. But who better to make something for than someone who’ll appreciate the time and effort?

3. I recently shipped my laser printer and scanner from the US, trusting online tech support that indicated dual voltage compatibility. A loud pop and billowing smoke indicated otherwise. The printer is kaput, and the scanner awaits an appropriate step-down transformer. Until then, you’ll have to take my word for it that I have a stash of Japanese craft books, vintage knitting patterns and funny photographs that I’m anxious to share with you. I hope this will adequately compensate for the poor quality of craft programming on this blog thus far.

1 Comments:

Blogger Di said...

ahh- I know the feeling. I'm convinced 90% of blog land exists in a different time space continuum. (I've also found that blogging and swapping inspire me to be more productive -although the competing forces of blog reading, blog writing and knitting are a struggle to balance!)

7:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home