Monday, March 13, 2006

It's official



I’m a cat lady.

I wasn’t always. I had dogs growing up, the kind that rode unrestrained in cars, heads out the side window, ears flattened back in the breeze. I like the routine of walks, and the sociability of dog people chatting in the park. I like the way dogs demand an engagement with the urban environment: the slow, ponderous walks around the neighbourhood visiting this, this and that light post, those trees, that special spot on the curb. I like that dogs just want to hang with you, wherever, whenever. The best definition I’ve ever heard of a successful small business is one in which your dog accompanies you to work.



Until now, I’ve thought of myself as a dog person who just happens to love a cat. A stupid, devoted dog kind of love, but I assure you: she’s a very special cat. One night last week, another cat was outside my front door meowing pitifully, anxious to get inside. I live in fear of Henry being lost, so I quickly called the number on the visitor’s tag, and his person came to fetch him. At the door, she explained that they’d just moved to the next street, and it was only the second time he’d been out. She was terribly grateful I’d called and, as she pointed to my chest, she told me gravely “You’re a real cat lady.” Looking down, I realised I was wearing this beautiful new brooch my friend Emily gave me last week, a mirrored perspex silhouette of a cat.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I love this little cat tale...

10:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really like your cat. She/he looks pretty. :*) and what a wonderful story too.

2:02 AM  
Blogger Di said...

Like you I've only recently become a cat person... Walter spends the days outside, and comes in every evening. except last night, when we got home really late... I'm eagerly waiting for him to reappear..

8:58 AM  
Blogger Robin said...

What a sweet kitty! She looks similar to "my" cat, Oscar. I also went through life as a non-cat person, loving dogs and having pretty bad allergies to cats. And then my partner came along with this cat, and they were inseperable. What to do. Fall in love with the cat! Luckily Oscar is really a dog in cat form and has the most beautiful green eyes. So I guess one can become a cat lady after all. Thanks for your post!

4:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So thrilled to have been the giver of the beautiful cat brooch - and to read of its adding to a wonderful experience so early on in your posession of it......

10:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home