Tuesday, September 05, 2006

An off-the-topic question

For Melbourne readers.

Does anyone know where I could find some bush lemons? Short of actually tramping through the bush?

I'm a registered entrant in the Preserves Competition (Novice Division: Lemon Butter) for the upcoming Royal Melbourne Show. As I keep saying, I have things to do. Not important things, but things nonetheless.

[Update: When I was in Queensland weeks ago, and talking about competitive lemon butter-making, my cousin mentioned bush lemons as a possible secret ingredient. They have a great flavour, she said, and thought they might help me pull away from the pack. Turns out, they aren't easy to find. Otherwise known as citronelles, they are a primitive lemon, most commonly used these days as grafting stock for other varieties. Sent out on a mission to the Prahran market this morning, my father returned with the news that the grocer hadn't seen any since 1956.]

6 Comments:

Blogger justinamaria said...

bush lemons? as opposed to back yard lemons?! those i've got! we used to buy some interesting citrus from one of the organic stalls at the Queen Vic market. could be worth a try?

3:02 PM  
Blogger Ampersand Duck said...

Argh, just read the last few posts and feel dreadful that I haven't sent the parcel I've been meaning to send. Hang in there... if you're planning lemon butter, then you're doing so well!

And time to really overhaul that blog banner :)

10:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so happy that you are looking for lemons.

I admire your strength.

BTW what are bush lemons?

I.
Bronx,NewYork.

1:30 AM  
Blogger Suse said...

I've been checking in over the last month, worrying about you. Just checked now and thought Oh good, she's back and asking about lemons, must be fine! Then read the last two posts.

I don't know what to say except that my thoughts are with you, and blessings heading your way from over here.

And I had the same thought re the banner as Duckie.

As for the lemons, try Vic Market or a farmers' market p'raps? I rely on friends with an overactive lemontree.

Be well, be strong. And don't curdle the butter.
- Suse

8:59 PM  
Blogger Suse said...

Duh. I've just noticed you did "amend" the banner.

9:00 PM  
Blogger Di said...

So glad to hear you are cooking. Cooking is very important. When I broke up with my ex, a little while later I baked a prize winning lemon meringue pie (for a cake baking competition that some friends' friends hosted). It was a memorable occasion as one of the first personal achievements I had after we broke up. So I do feel that your lemon butter is sure to be a winner, certainly in your personal wellbeing if not a blue ribbon.
We have a little lemon tree in our garden now, and I'm praying I don't kill it with my lack of care. I have no idea what you mean by "bush lemon" though?

6:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home