Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Happy Birthday!

clothes hanger

Finished in time for Mum’s birthday yesterday. She was shocked, not expecting to see it done before next year at least. More than once, I hid the growing thing so as not to ruin the surprise. I’ll post some action shots soon: this is a garment that can be worn inside-out, upside-down and back-to-front. Both Dad and Isaac expressed doubts, unconvinced by my arguments for deconstructed fashion.

The pattern is an easy one. I strongly recommend using a circular needle, but I still found it somewhat hard on my hands. Even though large gauge projects move quickly, I find large needles awkward to manage. I’m back to the last few repeats of the False Entrelac Scarf. Using 4mm needles after 8mm ones reminds me of the feeling of walking in one’s own shoes after an hour or two on the ice rink in a pair of rented skates. Bliss.

(Click image for a full garment shot.)

4 Comments:

Blogger the stripey tiger said...

It looks brilliant!! Does it fit her?? Well done!!! Did you use size 8mm needles?? Did you have any yarn over? I had to use 10mm to get gauge 'cause I'm such a tight knitter. I'm just past the first armhole but its moving quickly now. Will prob crochet to give extra strength. I Will decide when finished (in 2007). Fantastic!

2:18 PM  
Blogger nikkishell said...

That is beautiful! I'm sure your Mum will be very proud to wear it.

10:30 PM  
Blogger JinxedMinx said...

That is gorgeous! Wow, great job.

~Miri

10:30 AM  
Blogger kath red said...

i wanted to let you know i have set up an SPT blog at selfportraittuesday.blogspot.com

12:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home