Wednesday, October 26, 2005

When Using Glue, Make This Face



Me and my best friend, circa 1980.

I still make this face when I’m concentrating (or so I’m told.) We were making peg dolls. [Knitters: If you look closely, you’ll see that I’m wearing a brooch. I made hundreds of these, knitting with toothpicks. I wonder if any still exist?]

Fiona and I did everything together for years. We had matching overalls (hers red, mine yellow) that we wore with striped, long-sleeved t-shirts when we went roller-skating. We spent a good deal of our time upside down both in an official capacity as calisthenics competitors and as playground gymnasts. I have a clear memory of wondering what made me me and not Fiona. We seemed interchangeable.

Fiona has two little girls of her own now. They live in Sydney, and I hope to see them before too long. It’s Fiona’s birthday today: Happy Birthday, dear friend.

3 Comments:

Blogger Almendro said...

I laughed out loud to see this picture. And I was alarmed to read the previous post. Asthma, knitting with toothpicks...so many things to learn about you, my dear.

6:23 PM  
Blogger beki said...

Oh my, what a fabulous picture!

6:24 AM  
Blogger Fi said...

Oh so many happy memories growing up with you. Gymastics in the playgound trying to be the gymmasts at the Moscow Olympics, playing with Pippy in the backyard at your place, long afternoons at calisthenics, the amazing birthday parties you and your mum would organise and wishing I was as creative as you! Thanks for all the great memories, couldn't have asked for a better best friend. Werren't we two peas in a pod for all those years at St Clements. Just when did we become best friends... I don't remember a start, just that we always were.

8:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home