Thursday, May 10, 2007

ISBN 4-277-43063-5



Still can't crochet, dammit. Told myself to pull my socks up a while ago, and stop pretending that somehow it'd come to me overnight. I learned to knit and embroider as a kid, and while I hope I've improved since then, I think it's no coincidence that these are the techniques with which I feel most comfortable. Kind of like learning a second language before the age of six, I think. Some part of my brain sealed over before crochet got in. It doesn't help that everywhere you look there's lovely crochet happening, and people proclaiming, come on, it's easy. In spite of myself, I'm re-inspired, after listening to Brenda Dayne's interview with Annette Petavy. She's one of the ones touting crochet's easiness, but somehow, her tone is encouraging, rather than simply taunting.



This book has also re-inspired. Again, I can't tell for sure, but I think this is all the work of Eriko Aoki. If, by some miracle, I can conquer crochet, everyone I know will be getting a string bag for Christmas. Or a scarf loosely based on these drink coasters. In the event I fail, you'll all be getting heavy felt oven mitts.



Sometime back in January, I single, double and treble crocheted my way through a marathon night session at the Australian Open, feeling more and more confident that I'd cracked it. Only, my test square wasn't actually square: it was more of a triangle. As far as I can tell, I 'm not picking up the final chain in the row below, and for the life of me, can't tell where that might be. I swore I'd practice a little crochet a day, accepting my beginner status with zen-like calm. Rome wasn't built in a day, and all that. It hasn't happened. And I still can't play the piano, and my French..... well. Back to it.

8 Comments:

Blogger Ampersand Duck said...

Ah! But the sublime things you CAN do!

Have been meaning to write/email/text but I'm here now so THANKS for the scrummy broadsheet... and I've invested in my first can of Crisco! Arrived yesterday, and can't wait to de-solvent my life. You've probably extended my lifespan by a year :)

8:08 AM  
Blogger justinamaria said...

oh yes! i had the same problem with crochet for the longest time. i really felt as though i would never ever be able to make anything more than a basic granny square. BUT, after years of having a little go every now and then it feels like something has clicked and i can crochet. like garments and stuff! it seems perseverence is the key, keep trying, i'm confident that you'll get it!

9:35 AM  
Blogger Tracy x said...

Hi
I struggled with crochet for ages despite the endless lessons my wonderful aunt gave me - in the end i gave up and brought a few books. I think the best so far is the Happy Hooker, good descriptions and diagrams all laid out in a casual manner!
Now i cannot stop with the crochet - so be warned it is addictive!
Tracy x

6:52 AM  
Blogger jen said...

Ingrid directed me to your blog... I've just begun to crochet, and was lamenting the same stitch-dropping insanity. I'd count one row, then I'd crochet a row, and there was a stitch MISSING. Finally, I started picking up random stitches just to total the original number. I'm calling Kamikaze Crochet... my scarf looks like my dog did it. It's... not attractive. No offense to my dog, of course.

12:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what a lovely blog you have.

I can crochet...but I cannot knit. I met an elderly lady (maybe 70s)the other day who told me she learnt to crochet just 5 years ago. So it is possible.

2:04 PM  
Blogger UK lass in US said...

I only learned to crochet recently, so really have no idea what I'm talking about... are you remembering to do a turning chain stitch? (yes, I had to look up what the stitch is called)

2:45 AM  
Blogger PoetC7 said...

I learned to crochet as a child, just as you learned to knit. And, over the past ten years I've made many attempts at conquering knitting. All the cool celebrities knit. My three best girlfriends knit. My pal who collects dolls with me knits these marvelous little sweaters for her fashion dolls. I try. Oh, yes! I do try. And, I will keep trying to master this thing with two pointy needles and yarn. I love the way knitted things look as compared to something crocheted. But the single needle with a hook is my curse I'm afraid. However, after reading about your efforts, I am re-inspired to carry on with the knitting needles. Keep on keeping on with the crochet hook and maybe, just maybe, we'll each get what we're after! Good luck!

7:48 AM  
Anonymous Here said...

The Brazilian defender has plied most of his senior career with French powerhouse Paris Saint-Germain. His net worth is estimated to be in the region of €75 million (£65 million). The 25-year old centre-back is operating in at the peak of his powers, reflected in his market value of €65 million (£56 million).

6:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home