Friday, January 19, 2007

Bonnie babies



Lovely little Lola and “Jazz Hands” Jones.

Wearing Lacy Bonnets from Erika Knight’s Baby Bloom [Knitting for Two in the US.] Knitted in Jo Sharp’s Alpaca Silk Georgette in Ecru. The pattern calls for a DK weight yarn such as Rowan’s Wool Cotton, but I wanted to knit these up considerably smaller, and I love the feel and colour of the Alpaca Silk Georgette. The pattern is a lovely one, but I think the ribbon rosettes are a little over the top. Instead, I extended the edging around the base of the bonnet and knitted a strap with a buttonhole. Lola’s button is sewn on with a dusty rose thread; Jones’ with a grey-blue.

Sweet though they are, this is not an ideal bonnet for a tiny baby. The under-chin strap bothered these littlies, so they’re wearing the bonnets tipped forward with the straps loose. I think this pattern would be best for an older baby (able to hold up his or her head) in the heavier gauge yarn (just as the pattern calls for, ahem.) But I like fine gauge knits for babies, which makes me think that I might knit this pattern next:



Found at an antiques place near the corner of Burwood Road and Power Street in Hawthorn. The bonnet is knitted Paton’s Super Scotch, an undoubtedly discontinued 2-ply fingering weight yarn. Throughout the book, the patterns are referred to as “recipes”, which has a lovely improvisational feel to it, though I don’t think this was the intention. There is much capitalisation suggesting the dire consequences of using anything other than the recommended Patons & Baldwins wool (BY BUYING A ‘P & B' WOOL – YOU WILL MAKE SURE!) They do however strike an agreeable note in the footer on page 3: What a pleasant thing it is to knit on steadily with a beautiful yarn. Indeed.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Di said...

Looks like they've arrived safe and well- pass on my congrats to your friends.
I love the old pattern book- such wonderful turns of phrase. There's something grand about being able to step back through time and knit from old patterns.

8:30 AM  
Blogger Suse said...

What a pair of poppets.

I love the copy in old patternbooks. Such confident use of the exclamation mark.

11:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have making a point to check out old pattern books at thrift stores and am finding some treasures and some fashion faux pas. The babies are precious.

10:46 AM  
Blogger mooi hoor... said...

..just came across your blog. These babies are so sweet! The bonnets and the blanket are perfect!

7:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a photo of my self as a baby in an all-over lace dress (P&B natch!) in pink.

OK, not so remarkable, until I tell you that it was knitted by my father while he was in the Army - I was born in 1944. He was never posted 'fit' for overseas service, but instead was posted to various bases and different jobs around Australia and was fascinated by the maths of lace knitting - he is an accountant (now retired). Can you just imagine Dad, sitting on duty in the Sgt's mess, knitting away on pink lace - I wish I could have seen the Sgt's faces.......

Gae Fenske in Callala Bay NSW
eeandglf@shoal.net.au

8:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home