Monday, May 29, 2006

The move, continued.


Cleveland, February 2005.

OK. You’re sitting down, right?

You might want to sit down.

Remember all the strain and stress of the move? The bent-back thumb? The waking at night all a-panic? The sheer tonnage of stuff?

I’m moving again.

The whole shebang: the trucks, the gantry crane, the $$$. Clearly, I just can’t get enough of it. It’s possible I have some kind of moving Munchausen’s, or perhaps just your garden-variety masochistic streak. But when I was looking for the freight elevator Tuesday (after Saturday’s near-calamitous breakdown), I found it on up on the sixth floor, back in operation and being loaded by a couple moving out of their space. I stuck my nose in their open door, only to be struck green with jealousy. The light! The view! The sink!

Calmly, I asked if the space was taken. They suggested I knock on their neighbour’s door, but nobody was in, so I left a scribbled note and an old letterpressed business card. We spoke that night, and I saw the space the next day. I conferred with my mover, who agreed that yes, I am insane, but so long as my money’s good, he’ll open a monthly account. A builder friend took a look to assess the possibility of installing a double door, and today, with my heart in my mouth, I gave notice to my second-floor landlord. Our conversation began with him telling me that yes, I had overloaded the elevator Saturday, and ended with him telling me that he understood my predicament. We do have a month-to-month agreement after all, but I’m sure neither of us expected it would last less than six weeks. My nerves are all shot to hell.

6 Comments:

Blogger Di said...

Too exciting- Congratulations- even more perfect!
But I am wondering how you're going to move again without overloading the lift again?

11:08 PM  
Blogger Meg said...

While you're spending up big on removalists, wouldn't it be fun to introduce the Cleveland guys with the Melbourne guys? They could all stand around, drink stubbies, and assess the hydraulic capacities of the lift while you knocked on all the tenants' doors in the building to see where you want to go next!

9:06 AM  
Blogger Ampersand Duck said...

Wow. I see myself in your eyes. But you do need a sink. And light. And a view.

Best of luck!

9:24 AM  
Blogger Ampersand Duck said...

BTW the contents of that picture are mouth-watering.

9:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Think of the light - walk towards the bright light, go higher, and then you can fly!

9:29 AM  
Blogger Paisley said...

You sound ever so slightly insane - but in a good way. Good luck with the move. Good light is hard to find, so grab it when you can.
Funny thing is, when you commented on my blog about trying out Buttonmania, I think I was there pretty much at that minute!

2:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home