Thursday, March 22, 2007

First day of autumn + one



Yesterday was the first day of autumn in the southern hemisphere. Curiously, Australians tend to mark the beginnings of seasons on the first of the month: March 1, June 1, September 1, December 1. I think this quirk exacerbates fears of climate change (not that we don’t have enough evidence of change already.) The beginning of March was most definitely late summer: brutally hot in parts, the days still long, none of that elusive coolness on the underside of the breeze. Admittedly, leaves have been falling for weeks now, but that’s mainly a sad fact of drought.

The last few days feel different. We had some rain Tuesday morning. In semi-darkness at the market, there was a gentle percussion overhead and you could be excused of fancying you were in another time, a time before grey water systems became dinner party conversation and before the agonies of bucket back.

I bought the postcard on the left at Zakkaya the other day to mark the season. I was happy to receive another by the same artist days later: I will investigate their provenance. I’ve been struck yet again by a desire for the Campers on the right. I encouraged their purchase weeks back by my cousin, who in looking for reassurance that she shouldn’t spend the money, looked to exactly the wrong person: Did you see the grass shoes? I blurted when she admitted to visiting the store. I’ve tried them on twice since. I have two ongoing Camper regrets: the red button, needle and thread flats, and some flowery, high-heeled sandals, both of a couple of years back. Should I buy them? Can I invoke the no open-toed shoes rule at my new workplace as justification? Advice especially welcome from Lucy Tartan and the Lobster Quadrille.

10 Comments:

Blogger :: said...

BUY THEM

I only ever regret what I DON'T buy rather than what I do.....

10:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually, despite no kickbacks from camper, Laura bought them on the weekend. I'm guessing her advice will be that you should too.

10:57 PM  
Blogger Almendra said...

They don't let you wear open-toed shoes at your new job? A lot of falling knives around, or is that a fashion dictum?

8:20 PM  
Blogger Ampersand Duck said...

Yes, BUY THEM. Then you can look down over the magic tape and scissors and think of green grass and blue skies...

noice makeover, BTW

11:39 PM  
Blogger Di said...

Ha! My advice (from personal experience):
A) If you don't want encouragement to buy a pair of shoes, then you have to refrain from blogging about them.
B) If the shoe fits, buy them
;))

7:44 AM  
Blogger Meg said...

Where have I been all this time? You dropped off my bloglines. I'm sorry I'm a bit belated here. But I think the crowd has spoken. The shoes shall be yours.

6:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Buy the shoes!
Buy the shoes!
Buy the shoes!

They're cute!

Fall is my favorite time of year. I'm in the U.S. though so we're heading into spring.

6:45 AM  
Blogger jac said...

Buy! Buy! Except it's Good Friday and all the shops are closed!

These are really comfortable, honestly. And they're not massively wide. And they're brown and green, which everyone needs. Recommended, AA+++ seller, would buy from again.

PS> You fell off Bloglines? or Bloglines hates me? or something? I am all astonishment. (Random Pride & Prejudice quote for you.)

1:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HI - I'm in London mooching around bleary after too much lovely vino at dinner. Thought I'd nip upstairs to and have a quiet bath without my 3 little princesses chatting me through every stage (they are asleep). But got sidetracked by the potential blogs winking at me...
I had to tell you - I've GOT THE CAMPER SHOES in RED with the BUTTON, and the NEEDLE.
I'm size 4. (37?)
Do you want them? Would they fit? They've been worn precisely twice -beautiful but a rottweiler on the ankles. I'm happy to share.....as my 5 year old tells me - I could just keep digging down in the garden and I'll pop out somewhere near you...

6:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

why are the red needle and button campers bad? i got them some time ago but never wore them. are they uncomfy?

9:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home